Friday, December 6, 2013

Stocking Stuffing Made E... Easier?

 
 
The tradition of having a Christmas stocking was not something that was practiced in my home growing up. Not sure if it was a cultural thing or not (Note to self: ask mom about that), but I did not think twice about it until I spent my first holiday with Derek and he brought it up. I think it went a little something like this:
 
Derek: Let's go buy our first pair of stockings!
Giselle: (blank stare)
 
 
Naturally, I panicked! I must have asked him a dozen times, “How does this work again?” I just didn’t get it. Why do we have gifts to give out from under the tree AND from a bedazzled sock? I still am not quite sure. But, I think the tradition is …sweet… nonetheless. And I get a few extra goodies; who can complain about that!
 
As much as I enjoy picking out something nice for someone and seeing the reactions that ensue, it consumes me when it comes to gift buying for D.  I think too much about it! This will be our third “married Christmas” together and when stocking stuffing time came around again, I felt the pressure creep on. HOWEVER, I decided to make a plan in advance so that I would have time to brainstorm and get to pickin’ the goodies early.
 
My plan? I thought it would be fun for Derek and me to work off of the same ideas and see what we came up with for each other. So, I drafted up a few guidelines to help our stocking stress stay at bay. The only instruction is to fill the stockings with little things that could tie back to the following five ideas (Set a $$$ limit too. Stick to the budget, people!):
 
1.       Because I know you like
 
2.       I want to see you in (or with)
 
3.       A treat you enjoy
 
4.       Something that reminds me of you
 
5.       A trinket of love
 
Yeah, you can keep it as small, silly, thoughtful, G-rated, or you-know-what rated, as you’d like between the two of you. Careful if the kiddos and fur pups are watching!
 
Santa's got nothing on you.
 
Feel free to borrow these, or have fun coming up with your own ideas. Be sure to share; I could use some insight for next year. J

No comments:

Post a Comment