Thursday, August 16, 2012

Have your DATE NIGHT planned?

*Get your calendars out, it's time to schedule date night!*



               Derek and I chose Friday evenings as our scheduled “date night.” Since Friday is tomorrow, I wondered how you spend date time with your love? If you don't do or know what date nights are, let me help you understand. A date night is time you set aside to be intentionally “present” with your honey. Some couples like to have date nights at romantic restaurants, and others are just as happy with a stroll in the park. (I'll take both please!)The point is to set time aside to connect with your husband/wife. One of my favorite parts about having a date night is that we can be as creative as we want! It’s easy to think, “Well, I talk to my spouse every day. We discuss kids, the budget, church, ministry work, my job, and all this stuff. Why would I need a date night?” Park it right there! While all the mentioned topics are definitely important, they have their place and time. I know that when Derek and I talk about budgeting, while it is one of his strong points, it’s not the most fun for me. In other words, I don’t consider it a “date.” For the “business” meetings in our marriage we have what we decided to call TOMs. It’s a shorter way for us to say, “to go over month.” In these meetings, we do work. On date nights, I want to focus on learning more about Derek, dream together, have fun on a new activity, try a new restaurant, explore something new about our city, or just take a walk through downtown.

 I looked up the word “date” in the dictionary and this is my favorite meaning, "the time or period to which any event or thing belongs…” Derek belongs to ME every day, but on purpose, Friday nights. :) Spending time together on purpose is a great way to grow your relationship with your sweetie. With the busyness of work, school, kids, ministry, sports, and all the other happenings that fill our calendars, we sometimes can’t see that our honey is squished underneath waiting their turn for attention. I say that date night is “permanent marker worthy" because I don’t just want to “pencil” time in with Derek. Likewise, I don’t want to be an erasable marking on Derek’s agenda. Yes, of course, there are times that we have to re-schedule but having it as a constant priority makes it easier to not let other committments getting in the way become a frequent habit.

Don’t worry about living up to what your friends are doing on date night because you’ll be miserable and your wallet will most likely suffer. Ask for suggestions when needed, but have a blast coming up with your own plans too. For some couples the man is always in charge of planning, but I try to lighten the work for Derek and plan some myself. Of course, the ones I plan are more to my liking…hehe. If you don’t have time, make some. Want to connect with other couples? Plan a group date. There are countless ways to enjoy time with your mate, the important thing is to do it!

If you’ve been having date nights consistently but are getting in a rut on what to do, ask around for new ideas. We’re going to Northland Church tomorrow for a comedy night that the church is hosting. I get a hot date, and the event is free! Who said you always have to spend money to have a great time? For me, it’s important that I be intentional. Sometimes, especially after a hard work week, we’re happy to just stay home and watch an episode of our favorite TV show. Other times, I want to get dolled up and go out! I try to frequently look for events and new things for us to try locally. Here are some dates/events to look up and resources that I love for planning date nights:

               - Some of the larger churches in the area host many great events throughout the year. Northland Church in Longwood has an excellent calendar line up for this fall, including having Phil Wickham in concert! Also, First Baptist Orlando will have Spanish Christian artist, Jesus Adrian Romero on Sept. 28th. Check out their websites for more events and details: Northland Church Calendar, First Baptist Calendar

            - I married a sports enthusiast and we happen to have both graduated from the same high school. That means we catch our alma mater’s sporting events quite frequently. Check for sporting events coming to your local arena, or hang out and cheer on a local high school's teams.

           -We have a neat local theatre that hosts a number of upcoming and famed artists. Look at the calendar: http://www.plazaliveorlando.com/
          - I enjoy theatre and happen to know that Beauty and the Beast is coming to the Bob Carr in October! yay! Don't forget to also check out The Mad Cow, Orlando Shakespeare Theatre, WinterPark Playhouse, Enzian Theatre (movies), and Orlando Repertory Theatre for great shows and talent!

        - Visit the Winter Park Farmer's Market every Saturday from 7am-1pm and pick up fresh goodies for a dinner to cook together. WP Farmer's Market.

        - Drive a little way to one of the last exisiting Florida drive-in movie lots: Silvermoon Drive-In Lakeland

       - Tons of great ideas for all budgets on this site: Great Dates Orlando and don't forget to check your city's calendar, you might find something fun! Downtown Orlando

       - One of my new favorite coffee shops is The Drunken Monkey, Try it!
  
       - Check into your local $1 theatre days or rent a RedBox

       - Research restaurants and parks that host jazz nights. Crane's Roost Park in Altamonte has one. (I have this on my list to visit.)

      - Train for something together! Derek and I did the Couch to 5k running program together last year and then ran the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day. We plan to do it again and I plan on beating his time. :)
     
       - Bring out the cards and have some healthy competition between each other, or get the board games and invite your friends over! Guys vs. Girls, anyone?

       - Have a themed night. Say you choose Italian, then whip up your best pasta dish and dine by candlelight with music in the background. How romantic!

      - Come up with some questions (or look a few up) and see what new info you learn about your lover... I do this!
     
      - Don't go anywhere, don't turn the TV on, or have any media distractions... See what happens... ;)
    

Now that you've read this, you are offically responsible to take your hubs/wife out. Ohhh, don't pout! Take the same pen that you'll use to put it on your calendar (or not, and go out right now in spontaneous fashion!) and use it to sign here X______________________... You are now committed to "dating" your spouse over and over again! It just takes a little effort and thought and you'll be on your way to being a date night genius. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Check out http://www.holymessofmarriage.com/p/creative-date-night-ideas.html to add to your great ideas for date night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just browsed through some of them and I will definitely be trying some new ones from the site. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete