Thursday, August 9, 2012

“These are a few of my favorite things…”



My mom’s love for the Sound of Music was passed on to me at an early age. I could sit for hours on end and press rewind and then push play to sing along to all of the movie’s popular songs. I always got giddy when the scene of “My Favorite Things” came on the screen and I smiled as Julie Andrews sang about everything that seemed to bring her endless joy. *sigh* Don’t you just love those classic movies?



Well, today was one of those days that I got to enjoy a few of my favorite things, one of which sadly came to an end. I mentioned in a post I made initially on Tumblr that we as wives sometimes forget that we are our own individual person too. We sometimes get obsessed with being the “perfect wife” and think that we have to put all of our enjoyments on hold until further notice... Wrong! Actually, I can probably say that more easily because I have no kiddos to chase after. Sorry... But, it is true that I am a happier wife when I can enjoy some things that bring me joy.
Examples:

I enjoy a good book! In the last 3 weeks I’ve taken my sweet time to read through Gretchen Rubin’s, The Happiness Project. A few months ago, on some media outlet that I can’t think of right now, I heard about this book and was intrigued by the project that the author did. I made a mental note to pick up a copy but it wasn’t until I was in an airport in Boise, ID., browsing through titles that I remembered I wanted to read it. I was consumed for the next several hours on the plane ride home. I’ll leave details for another day because I’m just a few pages shy of finishing the book and motivated to start my own “happiness project” so I’ll give you the scoop later on. Nonetheless, it’s a good read.




Coconut is a God-sent scent. I love all things coconut- taste, smells, and texture. I love some coconut in my coffee, in my desserts, and even sprinkled in oatmeal. The smell of coconut in my soaps, hand sanitizers, and lotions is a summer joy, and you know that touching one of those brown coconuts is an interesting experience. I think I developed an affinity for the fruit when I was a little girl. My grandma took care of me and my sister when we were still too young to go to school and mom/dad had to work. She, at the time, made the best Hispanic desserts in town! I spent many a day grating coconuts for these treats and can remember so vividly picking at the gratings hoping that she hadn’t seen me. Any chance that I can get and find in a store, my inclination is to pick up a coconut infused product. My favorite summer scent this year was Bath and Body Works’ “Coconut Water” home spray. I almost shed a tear when I spritzed the last of this magical bottle this morning. So long, lover. L



Pinterest, enough said. I LOVE Pinterest! I think it’s because I feel like ideas that I have in my head that I wish I could do or see I end up finding the perfect posts to them on this site. I have all sorts of crazy boards and have to control myself from not “pinning” all day. Even with that, I pin quite often. Derek laughs when I show him all the cute baby and maternity pictures I post up … actually, that’s probably nervous laughter, hm.  I also text him the most adorable puppy pictures too. *hint, hint* Anyways, on my board “Handy Work” that’s dedicated to all things crafts, I pin countless projects that I think I’ll do, but realistically know that I won’t. Unless I have step-by-step instructions, items on hand or few to buy, then it’ll probably take me a really long time to get around to them. Well, I’m proud to announce that last week I accomplished one project and love it! Here was the goal:




And here’s how it came out:



Not too shabby for a non-crafter AND I was smiling all morning with my coffee in hand. J It was worth it.

Some other silly “simples” that bring me joy:

ü  The color yellow

ü  Cute cards and post-it notes to write on

ü  GoodMorning America…. I love Robin Roberts!

ü  Choosing fun nail polish colors for a pedicure

ü  Friends that tell great jokes

ü  Memorizing a new Bible verse

ü  Facetiming with my family

ü  This blog!


I’ve mentioned it before, but take the time to rediscover your interests or explore new ones. Derek is at peace knowing that I keep myself occupied when he has to work late or is away, and I’m happy that I can keep myself entertained. (Side note: there aren't many benefits to losing a job, but I suppose for me that this has been one...) Can you be guilty of going too far in enjoying your likes?  Unfortunately, yes. But like mom and my favorite fitness gurus say, “Everything in moderation.”

Let me know some of your favorite things to do and/or enjoy. You may just inspire me to try something new!

P.S. I'll soon be posting about my journey with the site She Reads Truth to work through the book of Proverbs in the Bible. I am learning a lot!

4 comments:

  1. Giselle, you very well may be my soul sister!
    First of all, I am obsessed with everything about the Sound of Music. Second, I do sometimes "pin" all day and only stop to read a little bit of a book. I am crazy about yellow, and memorizing scripture. Only thing is, I hate coconut. Lol. I enjoyed this, keep it up, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure do have a ton in common! I may read more than pin, but I love them both so much. Are you like me and don't craft as much as you pin? In other words, post all the great pics but never get around to doing the work? :) Thanks for commenting, it's encouraging!

      Delete
  2. Girl I love this post, I have The happiness project sitting on my bed stand to read, guess I need to pick it up before Sunday so we can chat about it, and I too love all things yellow. This post might inspire me to look around and survey all the things I love! I know one... you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too, Ash! You definitely have to read the book, and then give me your opinion. I just finished the last page a few minutes ago. It was hard to put the book down! I think it'll naturally cause you to think about the things you love, so it's a win-win situation. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it! xoxo Thanks for taking the time to comment too.

      Delete