Friday, August 31, 2012

It's a New Season


“Hello, autumn… I’ve been waiting for you!”

            I can’t believe today is the last day of August! I don’t remember saying “good-bye” to the past seven months? Anyway, I love this time of year. Here in Florida, it is kind of hard to believe that a season change is coming up when it’s still so hot outside. It takes a BIG imagination to forget it won’t be cold until probably December. Grrr.  (I really hope I get to wear my coat this year.)Technically, the first “official” day of fall isn’t until September 22, but I missed that memo and put up all my decorations this week. I feel so much better now. :)
            I’ve noticed a few of you are doing the same or thinking of doing away with the summer "stuff" soon too. So, as an encouragement, here are a few simple changes that I love to make  during this time of year that you can very easily do too.
            Ashley,  who is a friend of mine and fellow blogger over at Love Always, Ashley, got me hooked on one of her personal favorite sites, A Beautiful Mess. This blog has the cutest DIY ideas in several different categories. I am not much of a crafter, but I do enjoy “assisted creativity.” I found an easy DIY idea to make a wreath for the fall, so I gave it a try. I am excited that I actually started AND finished this craft. Sadly, I can't say the same about my attempt to crochet. Fortunately, my wreath turned out so much cuter than I thought it would. My neighbors now have something pretty to look at too! All you need is a wire hanger, strips of different color/texture/patterned cloth, and some ribbon to make a bow and hang. Tell me that is not easy? This is definitely a project that could be done as a group. *hint, hint* Here's mine:

I just love being a girl… and wife!

            Another easy way to jazz up your home for the fall is to get some new candles or oils to warm up for the season. Bath & Body Works is having a sale coming up this weekend, so be sure to capitalize on that. Don't forget to sign up for their e-mails too, they send great coupons. I am testing out their “Autumn” home oil scent and two mini candles: Lavender Vanilla and Cinnamon Covered Donut. My home smells delicious! As a kind reminder, be careful with the different scents you have going on at the same time. It's fun to experiment with mixing them and some combinations are perfect, but others are just a disaster! Your husband will thank me for that one. ;)

            Aside from the tangible ways to welcome a new season, we can’t forget about spiritual season changes too. While I packed away my summer décor, I meditated on Ecclesiastes 3:1-8:
“There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under the heavens:
2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.”

            When you get a chance to have some quiet time today, I encourage you to open your Bible and think on this passage as well. I know you’ve got a girly pen or pencil sitting around somewhere, so bring that to your one-on-one session with God too. As you read through it yourself be sure to highlight, circle, and jot down thoughts or even notes for the words/phrases that stick out to you most. I’m sure God won’t care if you use green or pink ink either. :)
 As I was reading through the “seasons” in the text, I could vividly recall specific examples for some of these in my life. It was a little painful to be reminded of the times where I’ve “mourned, torn down, and been silent.” But, thank the Lord that He brought me through to new seasons where I could “laugh, dance, love, and have peace.” I have gone through some crazy roller coaster changes in my young life too, and at times I felt like the winter days were never going to pass. I am so thankful that I held on to Jesus instead of running the other way because now that I am in my spring and summer times of life, I can remember His faithfulness and the joy that He brought me in the morning. (Ps. 30:5)

           What season of life are you currently in? What about your marriage? There is a book called The Four Seasons of Marriage by Gary Chapman that goes into more detail about this question.
Remember what Romans 5:3-4 says? “…We also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope.” In your difficult seasons while you’re waiting for the flowers and sun to come out, keep on in your perseverance. The hard times will pass. When you are in the blooming and seashore fun seasons of life, remember to thank God for those blessings. In all seasons, stay close to Him. He’ll be there with you through them all.
            I’m glad you could be renewed by thinking through this passage with me. Now, get on with making your fall crafts and treats! In my opinion, it’s not too early. :)

“Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.” Romans 12:2
“For you make me glad by your deeds, Lord;
I sing for joy at what your hands have done.” Psalm 92:4
 

P.s. To see my full post on my “seasonal change” thoughts, be sure to check on the Derek Janney Band blog soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment